Friday, March 5, 2010

Snow Days

Atlanta has had a crazy winter with 3 different snowfalls in 3 different months. Usually Atlanta is lucky to get 1 snowfall a winter. This past snow was no fun since it was really wet, so I didn't let the girls go out and play in it. Lauren did get out early and miss a day of school, while Kaitlyn started school 2 hours late. The snow that came in February came on a Friday that the girls already had off for Presidents' Day, but it was the fun snow. The girls loved making lots of snowmen and snowwomen, snow angels and having snowball fights. Lauren also loved eating the snow and trying to hide it from us. Alexa didn't like wearing her gloves, so she kept taking them off all the time. Kaitlyn didn't want to come in the one night since she was having so much fun playing with all of our neighbors.


Another great thing to do in the winter is to go ice skating. Kaitlyn's girl scout troop spent an afternoon at the rink, so she was so excited about that. The 1st hour was going to be spent getting a lesson and then the last hour was going to be a free skate. It turns out the instructor recently moved from Amherst, so always nice to have that Buffalo connection. Unfortunately, the lesson wasn't the most helpful for my 2 girls since it is tough to teach 15 girls, all with differing abilities. Within 5 minutes of Kaitlyn getting out on the ice, she was off and crying that her back hurt from falling. Fortunately, I was lacing up Lauren and some other girls' skates. By the time I was able to get to Kaitlyn, she was calming down and willing to go try it again. Kaitlyn would then go skate for a little while, and then come off the ice to take a break, and then always get back out there, so I was so proud of her. While Kaitlyn wouldn't get away from the wall very much, by the end of the session, she was flying around the rink holding onto the rail. She also can't wait to go skating again soon.


As for Lauren, she was determined to skate, even though we went thinking she was going to hang with Alexa and I off the ice. Lauren just wanted to be with all of the big girls. I was a little weary since I couldn't get out there with her, but Lauren has a knack for getting people to help her. I am not sure if people feel sorry for her or what, but so many different people were helping Lauren out. One mother did tell me that she grabbed her hand with a death grip and wasn't letting go for anything. Lauren also went through 4 different pairs of gloves, but wouldn't leave them on her hands, so I was running around the rink looking for them. Luckily she just left them on the rail, so I could find them all. Needless to say, Lauren's hands were frozen since even though she was hanging on the rail, she still would fall some, but nothing was stopping her from staying on the ice. Lauren also loved skating and can't wait to go again.

No comments: