Sunday, June 8, 2008

Summer Fun

The summer has begun, and we are having fun. There are the good days, and then there are those days where I wish school was still in session. Those are usually when Kaitlyn and Lauren can't stop fighting, no matter what I try. We have been at the pool everyday, so that is great, but it has been tiring everyone out, which makes for long days.

Alexa has such a wonderful personality and is usually smiling or laughing. She loves to get around, so she has been rolling from one side of the family room to the next. So the baby proofing has begun once again. Polly Pockets just seem to be everywhere as Lauren doesn't always understand or remember that they are supposed to stay in the living room. 6 months is such a fun age, but it is also weird to think that Alexa isn't a baby anymore, as she is developing her personality and can get pretty much anywhere. She has been going swimming all week and seems to be enjoying it. She has a little float that she sits in, so I can keep my hands free for the other two.

Lauren has been enjoying being with Kaitlyn all the time, but the sun and heat have been making her so tired that she is always whining about something. We may have to go back to naps, at least a few times each week. Lauren started out afraid of the water, which is the complete opposite of last summer, but after 2 or 3 weeks, she is already trying to swim by herself. She does have a vest for when I am not able to be with her completely, but she would rather swim without. She also has no fear of getting her face wet like her big sister used to be.

Kaitlyn is on our neighborhood swim team, but we have yet to get her to swim in a meet (2 down, 3 to go). The first meet we just went to watch, and she was so excited to see her friends swim that she said she would swim in the next meet. So Thursday came, and she was nervous, but I got her to put her suit on, so we went to the pool. She had fun playing with her friends, and then it was time for her race. She is sitting behind a friend waiting for her heat to come, and she becomes hysterical and wouldn't do it. If we got her close to the pool, I might have pushed her in, but I don't think that she would have even attempted to swim, so probably better that I didn't have the chance. She was even told that she could stay on the wall or the lane line, but no such luck. Then I had to deal with her screaming because she didn't want to leave. One of my friends was so impressed with me since I was so calm while I had 2 girls screaming because they didn't want to leave the pool (yes Lauren had gotten her clothes all wet until Bill brought her suit to change into). It is funny because Kaitlyn can swim on her own, but just won't attempt to try it. Once she gets over the hump of trying and doing anything, then she is fine, but that fear of new things keeps her from trying so much. Hopefully it won't make her miss out on too many things.

Bill and I had lots of fun this weekend changing the girls bedrooms around. Alexa switched to Kaitlyn and Lauren's bedroom and vice versa. Kaitlyn didn't like her bunk bed very much, I hated changing the sheets on it, and they didn't have a fan in their room because of the bunk beds, so it was very hot in there (especially lately). I guess this was good to show us how much work it is to move, which won't be as bad if we have movers, but Alexa was the one who didn't enjoy it very much since she was in her play station most of the time. I think they are all enjoying their new rooms, but Kaitlyn wasn't too happy when Lauren decided to take down all of the decorating that she had done. Kaitlyn did a wonderful job hanging their dress-up dresses on the bed posts with some boas and having all the stuffed animals lined up from biggest to smallest. Then when Kaitlyn went to bed, Lauren had made a bigger mess, so Kaitlyn said she wants her own room.

Well that's about it for this week...

No comments: