Monday, June 2, 2008

An Ode to Mothers

Bill just had 4 full days with the girls, and he decided that he needed to add a passage to this blog, so here goes...

Well, for those of you that do not know, Julie’s grandmother passed away recently, and Julie went to Buffalo to attend the funeral. And, she did not take any of her three daughters, which explains why this blog entry is coming from me, the Dad. I figured that I would take a shot at this blog-thing, and what better way to start then when I had to watch all three girls for 4 straight days. If you’re thinking that there are some interesting stories coming up, don’t worry, you will not be disappointed. And, if I’m a little bit long-winded here, it’s probably because I am.

I will start out with this, though. I am impressed with both my wife and myself in the fact that Julie left me with hardly any instructions. I mean, there was no three-page list of things that I had to and when or even how. She figured that I could take care of things, and I did (for the most part). Although, there was a nipple incident, but I will cover that in Day 3.

Day 1

Not too much happened today. We woke up, had breakfast, Alexa took a nap and I put the other two girl’s on the computer and read the paper. This will be pretty easy, so I thought. Then, we went over to Marietta to celebrate Natalie’s graduation from high school, which was pretty cool. She had a lot of “bling” on her gown, so we were all very proud of her. After that, we went to see my Dad and then we came back here. All and all, it was a pretty easy day. I figured that these four days would be easy, right?

Day 2

Another normal morning. After breakfast, Alexa took nap, so did I! I got about one whole hour in, which was pretty cool. Then I put Alexa down for a 2-hour nap after lunch and we all watched Little Mermaid. Our friends, Ritz and April, picked up Kaitlyn halfway thru to go to pool party, and the rest of us would meet them later. Meanwhile, I was trying to get Lauren to go poop, but she would NOT do it. In fact, just so you know how I tried, I had her naked during almost the entire showing of Little Mermaid, but no luck…

So, we go to the pool, which is huge! Windermere has 3 pools in all, with two huge ones, one baby pool, and a slide. Well, due to the size of pools, I kept losing Lauren. A lot. I wasn’t happy about it, but you would turn around and the kid would be gone again. Fortunately, we had some friends with us, so they would help me look. And, usually, after 5 to 10 seconds, we would find her although a couple of times took about 30 seconds.

But then, the real “fun” began. I decide to take both girls down the slide. At the last minute, Lauren changes her mind and goes back down the stairs. She goes in the direction of the kid pool, which is good. Then I go down slide and catch Kaitlyn at the bottom. When we get out, I instantly look for Lauren, but she is gone. So I start looking. After about a minute, I get Wally to help. By now, Kaitlyn has to go potty, so I take her there. Then April and Darlene agree to go help Kaitlyn, which is nice. But, I still haven’t found Lauren. So I get Scott, Dana and Mike to help. Still no Lauren. Now I’m nervous. I mean, the little girl is NOT in the pool as we have been looking for her for several minutes. Finally, she is found in the bathroom as it turns out that she pooped in her swim diaper and some strange (and nice) lady was helping her get clean. Once I have her in my arms, we leave the pool and go to the Hallowes.

On to the Hallowes. Kaitlyn is spending the night, so I was just keeping up with the baby, and I had help, too. Then, just before 7, when Alexa is ready to eat, Lauren comes to me crying. She had pooped her pants again. Anyways I have to get help, and Julie Reed agrees to feed Alexa. I get Lauren cleaned up… What a mess. When we leave, as I am saying good-bye to everyone, Mike Jefferson says, and I quote “He’s had enough”. I agreed.

Day 3

After my day yesterday, this day should be easy, right? Well, we are out of clean nipples for the baby, so I decide to boil them to clean them. After starting that, I put Lauren on the computer and Alexa down for a nap. Then Julie called, and I talked to her for about 30 minutes. And oh yeah, the nipples!?! That’s right, I left them on the stove and all the water boiled away and melted everything including the plastic, the nipples, even the pot. So, lucky for me, Julie never said “make sure the house doesn’t burn down”, because I actually tried!

Thankfully, the rest of the day was pretty uneventful, with the exception of Lauren’s poop, but more on that in a little bit. We went to the pool and my Mom was there to help, so that made things much easier for me. We were there for a couple of hours when it was time to go home. When we get home, what does Lauren do, but poop in her pants. And, not just once, not twice, but THREE times! And, remember, this is after pooping multiple times yesterday. Oh well, what are you going to do? At least they are all asleep now…

Day 4

The final frontier is finally here. My last day. And, I must admit, I have been looking forward to this day. Not because it is the last day, but because we have NOTHING planned, and I have been looking forward to some hopefully quality father – daughters time. So, we hung around the house, played some games, ran in the sprinkler outside, and went to the pool and Kaitlyn’s tennis practice. Unfortunately, Lauren did not quite cooperate. To be blunt, I think the poor girl is missing her mother and that’s why she is having problems. It makes sense, as she is only just turned three.

Anyways, the poor girl pooped in her pants a total of six times today. That’s right, six. I tried to get her to sit on the toilet, but she was not having any of it. I tried being nice and sympathetic when she pooped her pants AND I tried being mean and angry. Nothing helped. On the last poop, which happened right before she went to sleep for the night at 6:40 PM, I was just sympathetic. What can you do?
To wrap up this blog, do you remember the title of this, “An Ode to Mother’s”? Well, I titled it this, because Mother’s have a tough job! I have said it before, and I will say it again (I will even repeat this, if necessary), I do NOT want their job. A Mother’s job is much, much harder than mine! And, as to whether I will ever let Julie go away again, of course I will, but I sure hope that Lauren is completely potty-trained. See ya…

1 comment:

Gigi H said...

Bill you did a great job. I loved the title (as all moms would). I have tried to burn the house down a couple of time, too. I just reassure myself the fire station is close by.